Categories: AdventuresEventsUtah

“Can you help me? There’s a bear on my boat.”

On Friday, September 27, 2013 a bear cub showed up on the shoreline of Lake Powell. Visitors in Face Canyon were certainly surprised to see the little guy and even more amazed that he seemed right at home walking up the ramps of the houseboats parked there.

Just before passing out from the tranquilizer, the cub decided to make one more rush for freedom. He jumped in the water.

He was looking for food as he was obviously very hungry after a long walk from wherever he came from. Food was offered. The bear seemed to like fish and table scraps. But children, dogs and bears are not compatible. The bear visitation was correctly reported to the National Park Service.

On Saturday, NPS and Utah Parks and Recreation officers went to Face Canyon, found the bear and escorted it away from the lakeshore hoping it would return to its home. Unfortunately, the bear really liked the food provided by the houseboats and returned to Face Canyon the next day.

Utah Division of Wildlife Resources officers were summoned from Cedar City where bears are a bit more common than at Lake Powell. Two tracking dogs and three wildlife experts arrived at the Face Canyon site to find no houseboats parked on the beach. The dogs were let loose and the hunt was on when a visitor came over the hill and stated, “Can you help me? There’s a bear on my boat.” When his family returned from a hike, they found their boat occupied by a bear cub.

This bear cub ended up on a houseboat in Lake Powell. DWR biologists tranquilized and relocated the bear.

The dogs were leashed, the tranquilizer gun loaded and the bear was injected with anesthetic. Just before passing out, the cub decided to make one more rush for freedom. He plunged off the boat into Lake Powell, swam a few yards and then went limp.

Jason Nicholes, a wildlife biologist with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, knew the bear was now in serious trouble. He stripped off his shirt tossed his cell phone on the ground and jumped in the lake. He grabbed the bear after an Olympic freestyle swim and held it out of the water until the boat could come pick them both up.

After the rescue, the cub was collared so that he could be tracked and tended to as needed.

The bear was then given an antidote and allowed to regain consciousness as it was transported back to Wahweap marina and then on to Cedar City. The cub recovered nicely and seemed to have little adverse reaction following the abrupt end to his Lake Powell vacation.

The cub was collared so that he could be tracked and tended to as needed. He was released unharmed in the mountains of Southern Utah in an area with lots of acorns and other foods that bears enjoy. Hopefully, he will live a sedate and peaceful life in his new home.

Wayne Gustaveson :Wayne Gustaveson is the DWR's project leader at Lake Powell. His 34 years at the lake have given him unique insights into this popular fishery. He shares his fishing tips and reports at www.wayneswords.com.

View Comments (3)

  • That is a very young bear - too young to be away from his mother. Bear cubs typically stay with the mom for at least 2 years and often 3 years. That baby isn't going to be able to forage on his own, which is likely why he was so hungry in the first place. And he's definitely not going to be able to fend off predators. Was any rehab done to help him be able to cope out in the wild without his mother? If not, that's very irresponsible of people who should know better.

  • Thanks for the info, but we're not getting that kind of help where I live. We have lived in harmony with the bears for over 30 years. However, since their numbers have increased, they have become increasingly destructive and bold.

    Our local Fish and Game won't address the problem. I have lost 30' of 6' chain link fence and so far, the door and complete side of a small garage.

    So now what? They won't even attempt to relocate them and it's getting dangerous. We have children here.