Online hunter education with an in-person field day
- Total field day time:
- 5 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 1–2 days
- $10.00 for a Hunter Education Registration Certificate*
- See the steps below
* Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the total cost
Complete the online course at your own pace before attending an instructor-led field day. The online course will teach you about firearm safety, hunter responsibility and ethics.
The field day will train you to apply what you've learned in practical scenarios. You'll practice crossing a fence or obstacle with a firearm, identifying wildlife, the zones of fire and basic rifle shooting fundamentals.
Once you complete your field day, you'll take a written exam and participate in a live-fire shooting exercise. Parents are encouraged to attend the training.
Ready to take this course?
- Purchase a Registration Certificate. Before starting signing up for a field day, you must buy a Hunter Education Registration Certificate ($10). You can also purchase a certificate at any DWR office or license agent. The instructor must have this certificate to officially enroll you in a field day.
- Find a field day in your area and then contact the instructor You must contact the instructor to get officially enrolled in the field day, which includes hands-on workstations, a written test and a shooting exercise.
- Complete your online course before the field day. You can take any of the courses listed below. You must present your proof of completion to your instructor at the field day.
Online course providers
*All study materials in these courses are free of charge. However, there may be a fee to print the proof-of-completion document.