Online hunter education course followed by a required in-person field day
How to take this course
- Complete the approved online course before the field day. You must present your proof of completion to your instructor at the field day.
- Purchase a Registration Certificate. Before you sign up for a field day, you must buy a Hunter Education Registration Certificate ($12). You can also purchase a certificate at any DWR office or from a license agent.
- Find a field day in your area and register for it online.
- Online course time:
- Self-paced, approximately 4–6 hours
- Total field day time:
- 5 hours minimum
- Field day meets:
- 1–2 days
- $24.95 for the online course + $12.00 for a Hunter Education Registration Certificate*
- Online — see the steps below
*Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the total cost
Complete the approved online course at your own pace before attending an instructor-led field day. The online course will teach you about firearm safety, hunter responsibility and ethics. You must complete all of the online course sections (including quizzes) before the field day.
The field day will train you to apply what you've learned in practical scenarios. You'll practice crossing a fence or obstacle with a firearm, identifying wildlife, the zones of fire and basic rifle shooting fundamentals.
At the conclusion of the field day you'll take the final written exam and participate in a live-fire shooting exercise. Parents are encouraged to attend the training.
After you register
Online course provider
*The study guide materials in this course may be accessed free of charge. However, there is a fee to print the proof-of-completion document.