Field day update
With coronavirus-related restrictions loosening in some areas of the state, Hunter Education instructors may elect to schedule courses with small, in-person field day sessions. For more information, check the "Additional Instructions" section of the course you wish to register for.
Additional information: Temporary Utah Hunter Education procedures
In an effort to comply with current directives for social distancing related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hunter Education field day requirements will be done remotely. Students will complete an additional Virtual Field Day tool online. The live-fire exercise requirement will be completed independently by students under the supervision of a qualifying mentor, recorded and then the video will be sent to the instructor for evaluation. Certified Hunter Education Instructors will proctor the final exam through an online meeting platform or through another no-contact arrangement. Course instructors will provide registered students with additional details and instructions.
Online hunter education with an in-person field day
- Total field day time:
- 5 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 1–2 days
- $10.00 for a Hunter Education Registration Certificate*
- Online — see the steps below
* Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the total cost
Complete the online course at your own pace before attending an instructor-led field day. The online course will teach you about firearm safety, hunter responsibility and ethics.
The field day will train you to apply what you've learned in practical scenarios. You'll practice crossing a fence or obstacle with a firearm, identifying wildlife, the zones of fire and basic rifle shooting fundamentals.
Once you complete your field day, you'll take a written exam and participate in a live-fire shooting exercise. Parents are encouraged to attend the training.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Registration Certificate. Before starting signing up for a field day, you must buy a Hunter Education Registration Certificate ($10). You can also purchase a certificate at any DWR office or from a license agent.
- Find a field day in your area and register for it online.
- Complete your online course before the field day. You can take any of the online courses listed at the bottom of this page. You must present your proof of completion to your instructor at the field day.
After you register
What to bring to your field day
- Proof of online course completion — When you complete an online course, you will receive a voucher or certificate that you must print out and give to your instructor when you arrive for the in-person field day.
- Registration certificate — You may purchase a certificate online, at any division office or the nearest hunting and fishing license agent.
- A pencil and eraser
- A parent or guardian (if you're under the age of 16)
- Where to practice your shooting
- Download targets
Online course providers
*All study materials in these courses are free of charge. However, there may be a fee to print the proof-of-completion document.