Entirely in-person instructor-led hunter education
How to take this course
- Purchase a Hunter Education Registration Certificate ($10) before registering for a class. You may purchase a certificate online or at any division office or license agent location.
- Find a course in your area and register online.
- Total class time:
- Typically 6-12 hours
- Class meets:
- 1–2 nights a week,
3–4 weeks long
- $10.00 for a Hunter Education Registration Certificate*
- Online registration
* Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the cost.
This course is required to obtain a hunting license in Utah if you were born after Dec. 31, 1965.
Course includes instruction on firearm safety, hunter responsibility, wildlife management, survival, wildlife ID and more.
It typically runs for 3–4 weeks with classes meeting one or two nights per week. At the end of the course, you will take a final written exam and undergo a live-fire shooting exercise. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend.
After you register
What to bring to class
- Registration certificate — You may purchase a certificate online, at any division office or the nearest hunting and fishing license agent.
- A pencil and eraser
- A parent or guardian (if you're under the age of 16)
- Where to practice your shooting
- Download targets