Field day update
With coronavirus-related restrictions, all requirements to complete Hunter Education courses will be done virtually under the direction of a certified Hunter Education instructor.
Find a virtual field day that works for your schedule and register for it online using the course registration link below.
Once you are registered for the virtual field day, your instructor will email you detailed instructions on how to complete the requirements for the course.
Additional information: Temporary Utah Hunter Education procedures
In an effort to comply with current directives for social distancing related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hunter Education field day requirements will be done remotely. Students will complete an additional Virtual Field Day tool online. The live-fire exercise requirement will be completed independently by students under the supervision of a qualifying mentor, recorded and then the video will be sent to the instructor for evaluation. Certified Hunter Education Instructors will proctor the final exam through an online meeting platform or through another no-contact arrangement. Course instructors will provide registered students with additional details and instructions.
Instructor-led hunter education
- Total class time:
- Typically six to 12 hours
- Class meets:
- 1–2 nights a week,
3–4 weeks long
- $10.00 for a Hunter Education Registration Certificate*
- Online registration — see the steps below
* Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the cost.
Course includes instruction on firearm safety, hunter responsibility, wildlife management, survival, wildlife I.D. and more.
It typically runs for 3–4 weeks with classes meeting one or two nights per week. At the end of the course, you will take a final written exam and undergo a live-fire shooting exercise. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Registration Certificate. Purchase a Hunter Education Registration Certificate ($10) before registering for a class. You may purchase a certificate online or at any division office or license agent location.
- Find a course in your area and register online.