Visiting Hardware WMA
Find the information you'll need to plan your next trip.
Visiting Hardware Wildlife Management Area is free. For pre-recorded information about conditions and activities, call 435-753-6206 or 435-753-6168. Important: There is no food or fuel sold at the WMA, so plan ahead.
During the spring, summer and fall, Hardware WMA provides great opportunities for wildlife viewing, hiking and other outdoor recreation.
The Wildlife Education Center at Hardware WMA is closed for the spring, summer and fall, but will reopen for the winter next December. Check back for details and hours of operation.
Where are the restrooms?
There is a pit toilet located in the gravel parking lot near the Hardware WMA trailhead. (The restroom and trailhead area are maintained by the Utah Division of State Parks and Recreation.) This is the only restroom facility available during the spring, summer and fall.
During elk-viewing season in the winter months, the education center is open and indoor restrooms are available.
Hardware WMA is located 15 miles east of Hyrum, Utah in Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
The road to Hardware WMA, Highway 101/Blacksmith Fork Canyon Road, is a paved state highway that is regularly plowed in the winter. With careful driving, you usually won't need a four-wheel-drive vehicle to reach the WMA. Use caution, though, and pay close attention to weather conditions when you plan your trip or enter the canyon.
Coming from Logan, Utah
Travel south on State Road 165 to Hyrum, then east on Highway 101 to Hardware WMA. Signs along the way will direct you to the WMA. Check weather and road conditions before heading out, as snowstorms make the paved road very slippery through Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
Coming from the south
- Travel north on I-15 to the Brigham City/Logan exit. This exit puts you on Highway 89/91.
- Follow Highway 89/91 about 17 miles, traveling through Sardine Canyon into Cache Valley.
- After you go through Sardine Canyon, turn right (east) at the Wellsville light (by the Burger King). This puts you on State Road 101 — you should see white State Road 101 signs.
- Follow the State Road 101 signs and the Hardware WMA signs through the city of Hyrum and up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Hardware WMA is at the end of the road, about 18 miles up the canyon and 22 miles from the light in Wellsville.
Detailed directions through Hyrum City, starting at the Wellsville light
- Turn right at the Wellsville/Burger King light. (This is the junction to 101.)
- Go east until you reach 400 West and then turn right.
- Follow this road, heading south, until you reach a 4-way stop. Then turn left onto Main Street.
- Travel east on Main Street until you reach the light on 800 East.
- Continue east through the light and enter Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
- Drive up the canyon about 18 miles; this takes 30–45 minutes, depending on road conditions.
- Hardware WMA is at the end of the paved state road.
Contact Hardware WMA