Visiting Hardware Ranch WMA
Learn more about fishing, hiking and wildlife watching.
During the spring, summer and fall, Hardware Ranch provides great opportunities for wildlife viewing, hiking and other outdoor recreation. The visitor center is closed during these months, but a pit toilet is available year round. (The pit toilet is located in the gravel parking lot near the Hardware Ranch trailhead. The restroom and trailhead area are maintained by the Utah Division of State Parks and Recreation.)
During the elk-viewing season in the winter months (see below), the visitors center is open and restrooms are available.
During the 2020–21 season, the visitors center will be open from Dec. 4, 2020 through Feb. 14, 2021.
- Friday–Sunday: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Monday–Thursday: Closed
- Holidays: Closed
Hardware Ranch is located 15 miles east of Hyrum, Utah in Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Phone: 435-753-6168
The road to the Hardware Ranch WMA, Highway 101/Blacksmith Fork Canyon Road, is a paved state highway that is regularly plowed in the winter. With careful driving, you usually would not need a four-wheel drive. Use caution, though, and pay close attention to weather conditions when you plan your trip or enter the canyon.
Coming from Logan, Utah
Travel south on State Road 165 to Hyrum, then east on Highway 101 to Hardware Ranch. Signs along the way will help lead you to Hardware Ranch. Check weather and road conditions before heading out, as snowstorms make the paved road very slippery through Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
Coming from the south
- Travel north on I-15 to the Brigham City/Logan exit. This exits puts you on Highway 89/91.
- Follow Highway 89/91 about 17 miles over Sardine Canyon into Cache Valley.
- After you go through Sardine Canyon, turn right (east) at the Wellsville (Burger King) light. This puts you on State Road 101, you should see white State Road 101 signs.
- Follow the State Road 101 signs and the Hardware Ranch WMA signs through the city of Hyrum and up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Hardware Ranch WMA is at the end of the road, about 18 miles up the Canyon and 22 miles from the light in Wellsville.
- Detailed directions through Hyrum City starting at the Wellsville light
- Turn right at Wellsville/Burger King light (this is the junction to 101).
- Go east until you reach 400 W and then turn right.
- Follow this road heading south until you reach a 4-way stop, turn left onto Main Street.
- Travel east on Main Street until you reach the light on 800 E.
- Continue east through the light up Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
- Drive up the canyon about 18 miles or 30–45 minutes depending on road conditions.
- Hardware Ranch WMA is at the end of the paved state road.