Instructor-led bowhunter education
- Total class time:
- 12 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 3–4 days
- Online registration — see steps below
*Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the student cost.
This is a comprehensive course for national bowhunter certification. Completion is required to bowhunt in Idaho, Montana, Alaska and several other states. This course does not replace the hunter education course for archery hunters born after December 31, 1965 — these hunters must still complete the hunter education course before purchasing their hunting licenses.
The course includes bowhunting safety, ethics, methods and regulations. We will also discuss elevated stands, shot placement and survival. There will be field exercises and a final written exam.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Bowhunter Education Registration Certificate. You must have a registration certificate ($6) before attending this class. You can purchase a certificate online, from a Division office or a license agent.
- Find this course in your area and register online.
After you register
What to bring to class
- Registration certificate — You may purchase a certificate online, at any division office or the nearest hunting and fishing license agent.
- A pencil and eraser
- A parent or guardian (if you're under the age of 16)
- Where to practice shooting your bow
- Download targets