Trapping FAQ
Furbearers Furbearers

Utah's revised furbearer & trapping regulations

What you need to know about the 2017 regulations changes.

Many of you have contacted us with questions about the new changes to Utah's trapping rules. This page lists the most common questions and answers. We will add to this list as needed, so please check back periodically for updates.

  • What has changed?
  • Why were these changes necessary?
  • How do these rule changes benefit people who just want to trap coyotes and raccoons?
  • Do I need a furbearer license if I only want to trap coyotes or raccoons?
  • Do I need a trap registration license if I am trapping coyotes and raccoons?
  • What if I want to trap raccoons or coyotes around my house or barns. Do I need a trap registration license to do that?
  • How much does it cost to get a trap registration license?
  • How do I obtain my trap registration license?
  • Do I have to carry the trap registration license in the field?
  • Did the trap check time requirements change with this rule change?
  • Do I need to report to DWR every time I set a trap?
  • Are conservation officers going to be writing tickets for violations of this rule as soon as it takes effect?
Quick links
Wildlife Blog: Views from DWR employees
» Wildlife Blog
Report poachers — 1-800-662-3337
» Report poachers
Wildlife dates
» Important dates
Hunter, angler mobile app
Hunter Education: Sign up for classes
» Hunter education