Online furharvester education with an in-person field day
- Total field day time:
- 3 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 1 day
- $40.50 *
- Online registration — see details below
$34.50 online course cost and a $6.00 registration fee. In addition, some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the student cost.
A Utah resident born after Dec. 31, 1984 may not purchase a resident furbearer license unless the applicant has completed a Division-approved furharvester education course.
This is a comprehensive course for Utah furharvester education certification. Completion is required to trap in Utah and several other states that require furharvester education.
The furharvester education course provides instruction in safe and responsible trapping, including instruction in the use of trapping devices, trapping laws, trapping ethics, techniques in safely releasing nontarget animals, firearms safety, wildlife management, proper catch handling trapper health and safety, and ethics related to the avoidance of conflicts with other public land users and private landowners. There will be field exercises and a final written exam.
This course does not replace the hunter education course for hunters born after December 31, 1965. Hunter born after that date must still complete the hunter education course before purchasing their hunting licenses.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Furharvester Education Registration Certificate. You must have a registration certificate ($6) before attending this class. You can purchase a certificate online, from a Division office or a license agent.
- Find a field day in your area and register online.
- Study the online material in preparation for the field day. You must provide proof of completion to the instructor at the field day. The material and exam are available online at www.hunter-ed.com/utah/trapper/. Be sure to print out your field day qualifier certificate before attending the field day.
After you register
What to bring to class
- Field day qualifier certificate — You will receive this certificate after you complete the online course. Print it out and bring it to your instructor when you arrive for the in-person field day.
- Registration certificate — You may purchase a furharvester education registration certificate online, at any division office or the nearest hunting and fishing license agent.
- A pencil and eraser
- A parent or guardian (if you're under the age of 16)