News News
Buck deer with antlers crouching in brush

Help decide how wildlife is managed in Utah by applying to be on a Regional Advisory Council

Buck deer with antlers crouching in brush

Salt Lake City — If you are interested in Utah's wildlife and how species are managed, several positions will soon be opening on two of the five Regional Advisory Councils that share public feedback with the Utah Wildlife Board. You can apply for one of the available RAC positions, beginning Wednesday, June 1.

What the RACs do

Each of the five RACs consists of 12–15 members, and those members can serve up to four years on the council. Each RAC holds about six meetings a year. At the meetings, RAC members listen to proposals from Utah Division of Wildlife Resources biologists about hunting, fishing and wildlife management in Utah. They also review any input or feedback from the public that was submitted online before the meetings started.

After voting on each of the proposals, the chairperson for that RAC later presents their region's recommendations to the Utah Wildlife Board. Members of the board consider and discuss the input, and then vote to decide how wildlife is managed in Utah.

RAC meetings usually last several hours. The meetings are held in the evenings, usually on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night. These meetings are held in person but can also be attended virtually, as needed.

Vacant RAC positions

Three RAC positions are currently open for public nominations:

  • Central Region: Agriculture representative
  • Northeastern Region: Agriculture representative and a public-at-large representative

Applying to serve

RAC members represent one of six interest groups:

  • Hunters, anglers and trappers (sportsmen)
  • Those who don't hunt or fish (non-consumptive)
  • Ranchers and farmers (agriculture)
  • Locally-elected public officials
  • Federal land-management agencies (including the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management)
  • The rest of the general public (public at large, including businesses)

To fill one of the upcoming vacancies, you must live in the region of Utah you wish to represent. Here is how to apply:

  • If you want to represent the public at large, you must contact a group in your community and ask them to nominate you. Political groups, town councils, animal sanctuary committees and recreational groups are examples of groups that have nominated people in the past.
  • If you want to fill one of the other positions on the RAC — except for the federal land-management agency position — you must contact a conservation group or organization in your region and ask that they nominate you to serve in the vacancy you'd like to fill. For example, if you want to fill a sportsmen's vacancy, you must contact a Utah hunting or conservation group and ask them to nominate you for the position. Federal land-management agencies appoint their own representatives to the RACs.

To learn about wildlife or conservation groups in your area, contact the nearest DWR office.

Nomination deadlines

Nominating groups and organizations can begin submitting their nominations on June 1. Nominations have to be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, June 30. The new RAC members will begin their unpaid term during the August RAC meetings. For more information, to apply, or to submit a nomination, visit the DWR website.

Quick links
Lee Kay and Cache Valley Shooting Centers
» Shooting centers
Wildlife Blog: Views from DWR employees
» Wildlife Blog
Report poachers — 1-800-662-3337
» Report poachers
Wildlife dates
» Important dates
Hunter, angler mobile app
Hunter Education: Sign up for classes
» Hunter education