With the recent surge of COVID-19 cases throughout the state — and the big game application period quickly approaching — some hunter education instructors have been authorized to temporarily schedule courses with a completely remote option format.
Remote field day options will be available from now until Feb. 28, 2022. Instructor-led and in-person field days will still be available for students comfortable with these formats. For all in-person courses, please keep in mind the following:
- Classes will be limited to a total of 40 people, including the instructor, students, parents and other visitors.
- Masks are not required, but strongly recommended for everyone in the classroom.
- A social distance of at least six feet between individuals from different households will be observed, whenever possible.
Students who register for a remote option course will receive detailed instructions from their course instructor after they register through the DWR website.
Instructor-led furharvester education
- Total course time:
- 8 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 2–3 days
- Basic cost:
- Online registration — see details below
*Some facilities charge to rent a room, which increases the student cost.
A Utah resident born after Dec. 31, 1984 may not purchase a resident furbearer license unless the applicant has completed a Division-approved furharvester education course.
The furharvester education course provides instruction in safe and responsible trapping, including instruction in the use of trapping devices, trapping laws, trapping ethics, techniques in safely releasing nontarget animals, firearms safety, wildlife management, proper catch handling trapper health and safety, and ethics related to the avoidance of conflicts with other public land users and private landowners.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Registration Certificate. You must have a Furharvester Education Registration Certificate ($6) before attending this class. You can purchase a certificate online, from a Division office or a license agent.
- Find this course in your area and register online.