Instructor-led furharvester education
- Total course time:
- 8 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 2–3 days
- Basic cost:
- Online registration — see details below
*Some facilities charge to rent a room, which increases the student cost.
A Utah resident born after Dec. 31, 1984 may not purchase a resident furbearer license unless the applicant has completed a Division-approved furharvester education course.
The furharvester education course provides instruction in safe and responsible trapping, including instruction in the use of trapping devices, trapping laws, trapping ethics, techniques in safely releasing nontarget animals, firearms safety, wildlife management, proper catch handling trapper health and safety, and ethics related to the avoidance of conflicts with other public land users and private landowners.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Registration Certificate. You must have a Furharvester Education Registration Certificate ($6) before attending this class. You can purchase a certificate online, from a Division office or a license agent.
- Find this course in your area and register online.
After you register
What to bring to class
- Registration certificate — You may purchase a certificate online, at any Division office or the nearest hunting and fishing license agent.
- A pencil and eraser
- A parent or guardian (if you're under the age of 16)