What's new this year?

No cow moose permits available: Because of recent declines in Utah's moose populations, there will not be any cow moose permits available this year. You may still apply for a cow moose bonus point.

Depredation hunts

When big game animals cause damage to agricultural crops, the Division may hold hunts that are not currently listed. These hunts are called depredation hunts. They may occur on short notice, involve small areas and are often limited to only a few hunters.

Read more about depredation hunts or apply for a depredation permit.

New hunts: This year, there are new hunts for antlerless deer, elk and pronghorn. See detailed hunt information.

New antlerless elk-control areas: Did you obtain a buck deer, bull elk or bison permit for an elk-control area? If so, you may be eligible to purchase an antlerless elk-control permit. This year, you can use an elk-control permit in two new areas: Wasatch Mtns, Currant Creek and Wasatch Mtns, Avintaquin. (See a list of all antlerless elk-control areas.)

Boundary changes: Some hunt boundaries have changed this year. Visit wildlife.utah.gov/maps to find a map and description of the area you want to hunt.

Other things to keep in mind

Field regulations in separate guidebook: All big game field regulations—for both antlered and antlerless animals—are in the 2013 Utah Big Game Field Regulations guidebook. Printed copies will be available from license agents and Division offices in early June.

Antlerless harvest reporting

Did you obtain an anterless permit this year? If so, remember to complete your harvest report after your hunt has ended.

After you finish your hunt (whether or not you harvest an animal), visit Report your game harvest and click the appropriate button at the top of the page. Then, you can log in and complete your antlerless online harvest report.

If you prefer to complete your harvest report over the phone, call 1-800-221-0659 at any time. The phone line is staffed 24 hours per day, all throughout the year.

As soon as you submit your report—online or by phone—you will be automatically entered into a prize drawing. You don't have to fill out a separate entry form.

To be entered into the prize drawing, you must submit your report by Feb. 21, 2014.

Hunting license required: Before you can apply for a 2013 antlerless permit, bonus point or preference point, you must have a valid Utah hunting or combination license. You can purchase a license today or when you apply for an antlerless permit.

Apply for permits online or by phone: If you plan to hunt antlerless big game in Utah this year, you must apply for a permit online or by phone no later than June 20, 2013. There's an 11 p.m. deadline for online applications and a 5 p.m. deadline for phone applications. Apply online, beginning May 29, or call any Division office.

Flexibility in using antlerless elk permits: If you obtain two antlerless elk permits for the same area—but the permits are for different seasons—you may harvest both elk during the same season. And don't forget that you can use your antlerless permit during your buck or bull season, as long as it's for the same area. See the information box for details.

Opportunity for youth: Twenty percent of the permits for antlerless deer, antlerless elk and doe pronghorn have been reserved for hunters 18 or under.

Harvest reporting: The Division encourages all hunters to report the results of their antlerless hunts, even if they don't harvest an animal. If you participate, you'll be automatically entered into a prize drawing.

Multiple elk permits: You may obtain two elk permits—provided one or both of the permits are antlerless—but you can only apply for or obtain one antlerless elk permit in the drawing. Learn more about this opportunity.

Corrections: If errors are found in this online antlerless application information, the Division will correct them immediately.

Protection from discrimination: The Division receives federal financial assistance from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the U.S. Department of the Interior and its bureaus prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex. If you believe that you have been discriminated against in any program, activity or facility, or if you desire further information, please write to:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Office for Diversity and Civil Rights Programs—External Programs

4040 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 130

Arlington, VA 22203

Private lands: The Division cannot guarantee access to any private land. If you plan to hunt—or engage in any other wildlife-related activities—on private lands, you must obtain WRITTEN permission from the landowner or the landowner's authorized representative.

Division funding: The Division is mostly funded by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and through federal aid made possible by an excise tax on the sale of firearms and other hunting- and fishing-related equipment.

Hunters with disabilities

Utah Admin. Rule R657-12

Utah provides special hunting accommodations for people with disabilities. These accommodations include the opportunity to hunt with a companion, use a crossbow, hunt from a vehicle, use a draw lock and use a scope on archery equipment or a muzzleloader.

Hunters with disabilities may also apply for an extension to their season if they have a 2013 big game hunting permit in their possession and they meet certain criteria.

Learn more about hunting accommodations for people with disabilities. You can also see the administrative rule or call any Division office.

Bookmark and Share

Hunt drawings
Hunting permits
Fishing licenses

Utah DWR video

Wildlife crossing structures on Utah highways

Mule Deer: Saving the Icon of the West

See more Utah DWR videos

Tread Lightly
Mule deer: Changing Landscapes, Changing Perspectives