Print Email

Frequently asked hunting questions

What is a hunt drawing?

Utah conducts a hunt drawing when the number of likely hunters is much larger than the number of available permits for a species. This gives hunters a fair chance at obtaining a permit. Hunters must apply online for hunt drawings, which occur at different times of the year for different species. To find out when you can apply, see the wildlife calendar or look in the hunting guidebook for the species you want to hunt.

How do I obtain a hunting permit?

First, check the appropriate hunting guidebook to see if there will be a hunt drawing. Then, you simply apply for the drawing during the specified timeframe.

You must have a current Utah hunting license before you can apply for a hunting permit. You will have the opportunity to purchase a license online during the application process. Learn more about the differences between licenses and permits.

Sometimes, permits remain available after a drawing, or they are only offered on a first-come, first-served basis. In those instances, you can choose to buy a permit online, at your local DWR office or at a retail sales outlet.

When may I hunt?

Hunting seasons vary by species, weapon and type of hunt. Check the wildlife calendar or look at the appropriate hunting guidebook for more information.

When are the application deadlines?

Check the wildlife calendar or download a specific hunting guidebook for application deadlines.

  • For faster searches, click the "hunt drawings" category at the bottom of the calendar. You will see only the drawing-related results.

Where may I hunt?

It depends on the species you're hunting. Every species has different rules that determine where you can hunt. Before you apply for a hunt or head into the field, read the appropriate hunting guidebook and review the DWR's online maps and boundary descriptions.

Where do I get a HIP number?

You only need a Harvest Information Program (HIP) number if you'll be hunting migratory birds. In addition to your license (and your duck stamp, if required) you must obtain a Migratory Game Bird HIP registration number every season. You can obtain your HIP number in one of two ways:

  1. Register at
  2. Call 1-877-882-4744. If you have questions or need help obtaining your HIP number please call 1-866-668-8447.

Bookmark and Share

Hunt drawings
Hunting permits
Fishing licenses

Utah DWR video

Wildlife crossing structures on Utah highways

Mule Deer: Saving the Icon of the West

See more Utah DWR videos

Safety in bear country
Tread Lightly