Conservation and management is a top priority.
Utah has made the health of the greater sage-grouse a priority, creating a scientifically based plan built on decades of research. Utah's sage-grouse are responding positively under the plan, with a population trend that has been steady or increasing since the 1990s. Learn more in the videos and infographics below.
One reason Utah's plan is proving successful is the support and collaboration from government agencies, private landowners and businesses, biologists and cross-discipline working groups, as seen in the videos above.
One-third of sage-grouse habitat and 55 percent of sage-grouse leks are on private property, so the efforts of private landowners are essential to the conservation of the species. Public and private partners have improved or restored 1.2 million acres of habitat in Utah since 2006. Over 500,000 acres of that work has directed benefited sage-grouse.
Utah's Greater Sage-grouse Management Plan conserves more than 90 percent of the state's greater sage-grouse habitat, totaling 7.5 million acres.
A recent in-depth study has revealed that 77 percent of the acreage is unaffected by landscape threats. The remaining 23 percent of SGMA acreage could be under threat from habitat encroachment, wildlife or other disturbances. Of the area that is threatened, only three percent is due to oil and gas development or urbanization. Utah's management plan addresses each of these threats.