Are you interested in hunting an antlerless big game animal during the 2016 season? Here's the information you'll need in order to apply for a permit.

1 Learn when you can apply for a permit

2 Find out what's new and other important information about the 2016 season

3 Review antlerless season dates, hunt tables and permit fees

4 Make sure you meet the basic requirements to obtain a permit

5 Learn how to obtain a permit

Application dates

You can apply online for an antlerless permit from May 26–June 16, 2016. The pages linked above will provide all of the information and tools you need in order to apply.

Apply online May 26, 2016
Application deadline June 16, 2016
Drawing results available July 7, 2016
Remaining permits available July 19, 2016

You'll be emailed your drawing results on or before July 7, 2016. You can also learn your drawing results online, by calling 1-800-221-0659 or contacting a Division office during business hours. To protect your privacy and to comply with changes in governmental records access laws, you'll receive access to only your own drawing results.

What's new this year?

Private-lands-only antlerless elk permits: This year, the Division will offer a new type of antlerless elk permit that is only valid on private lands on select hunting units. Do not purchase one of these permits without knowing the laws that regulate hunting on private lands. Learn more.

Obtain up to three elk permits: You may now obtain up to three elk permits—as long as at least two of the permits are for antlerless elk—but you can only apply for or obtain one antlerless elk permit in the drawing.

Changes to antlerless elk-control hunts: Starting in 2016, antlerless elk-control hunts will be discontinued on the Mt Dutton unit and both of the Wasatch Mtns units.

Antlerless moose hunts reinstated: Utah’s moose populations are growing in many areas, so antlerless moose hunts have been reinstated for the first time in five years.

New hunts: This year, there are new hunts for antlerless deer and elk. See detailed hunt information.

Unit boundary and name changes: Many hunt unit boundaries and names have changed this year for antlerless hunts. For example, the West Desert, Deep Creek antlerless elk unit is now the West Desert, Ibapah unit. See detailed hunt boundary information

Other things to keep in mind

Big Game Field Regulations Guidebook: All big game field regulations—for both antlered and antlerless animals—are in the 2016 Utah Big Game Field Regulations guidebook. Printed copies will be available from license agents and Division offices in early June.

Antlerless harvest reporting

If you obtain an anterless permit this year, don't forget complete a harvest report after your hunt ends.

Visit Report your game harvest and click the appropriate button at the top of the page. Then, you can log in and complete your harvest report.

If you prefer to complete your harvest report over the phone, call 1-800-221-0659. The line is staffed 24 hours per day, seven days a week.

Hunting license required: Before you can apply for a 2016 antlerless permit, bonus point or preference point, you must have a valid Utah hunting or combination license. You can purchase a license today or when you apply for an antlerless permit.

Apply for permits online or by phone: If you plan to hunt antlerless big game in Utah this year, you must apply for a permit online or by phone no later than June 16, 2016. There's an 11 p.m. MDT deadline for online applications and a 5 p.m. MDT deadline for phone applications. Apply online, beginning May 26, or call any Division office.

Flexibility in using antlerless elk permits: If you obtain two antlerless elk permits for the same area—but the permits are for different seasons—you may harvest both elk during the same season. And don't forget that you can use your antlerless permit during your buck or bull season, as long as it's for the same area. See the information box for details.

Opportunity for youth: Twenty percent of the permits for antlerless deer, antlerless elk and doe pronghorn have been reserved for hunters who will be 17 or under by July 31, 2016.

Multiple elk permits: You may obtain multiple elk permits—provided at least two of the permits are for antlerless elk—but you can only apply for or obtain one antlerless elk permit in the drawing. Learn more about this opportunity.

Season dates, hunt tables and boundary maps

Season dates vary, depending on the species and the area. For season date listings, see the 2016 antlerless hunt tables:

Permit fees

Permit Resident Nonresident
Antlerless deer $30 $93
Two-doe deer $45 $171
Antlerless elk control $30 $93
Antlerless elk $50 $218
Antlerless elk (private lands only) $50 $218
Antlerless moose $213 $713
Doe pronghorn $30 $93
Two-doe pronghorn $45 $171
CWMU antlerless deer $30 $93*
CWMU two-doe deer $45 $171*
CWMU antlerless elk $50 $218*
CWMU doe pronghorn $30 $93*
CWMU two-doe pronghorn $45 $171*

* Nonresidents may only obtain CWMU permits through the CWMU operator. See a list of CWMU properties.

Know the rules

These antlerless pages summarize some of Utah's big game hunting laws and rules.

Under many of the headings on these pages, you'll see code references—such as Utah Code § 23-20-25 and Utah Administrative Rule R657-5-24—that are linked to the detailed statute or rule that underpins the summary. If you have questions about a particular subject, take a minute to click the links and read the rules.

You are also welcome to call or visit the nearest Division office if you have additional questions. For an in-depth look at all of Utah's big game hunting laws and rules, visit the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Administrative Rules web page.

Who makes the rules?

The Utah Wildlife Board passes the rules and laws summarized in this guidebook.

There are seven board members, and each serves a six-year term. Appointed by the governor, board members are not Division employees.

The Division's director serves as the board's executive secretary but does not have a vote on wildlife policies.

Before board members make changes to wildlife rules, they listen to recommendations from Division biologists. They also receive input from the public and various interest groups via the regional advisory council (RAC) process.

If you have feedback or suggestions for board members, you can find their contact information online.

Wildlife Board members

John Bair, Chair

Kirk Woodward, Vice Chair

Gregory Sheehan, Division Director & Executive Secretary

Byron Bateman

Calvin Crandall

Steve Dalton

Donnie Hunter

Michael King