There are well over 1,000 natural lakes in the Uinta Mountains and more than 500 of them support populations of game fish. There are also over 400 miles of streams. Fly fishing in the summer and fall months offers some of the fastest catch rates for trout in the state. Standard baits are also effective. During the winter, you'll need a snow machine for access but you'll find great ice fishing.
Latest fishing report
Fishing has recently been good for rainbow trout in the frozen lakes along Mirror Lake Highway such as Trial Lake. (Last update 02-15-18)
- Location: Summit and Duchesne counties
- Directions: Take SR-150 east from Kamas or south from Evanston, Wyoming
- Type: Fishing
- Size: 460,000 acres within the
- Elevation: Up to 13,528 feet
- Hours: No restrictions
- Likely catch: Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Tiger Trout
- Possible catch: Golden Trout, Arctic Grayling
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: Beautiful scenery; non-motorized boating; nearby campground and primitive camping; hiking; backpacking; small boat ramps at Stateline, Whitney, Smith Morehouse, Trial, Washington, Mirror and Bridger lakes
- Handicap access: Minimal