Wide Hollow Reservoir
- Rating: Good
- Conditions: Catchable-sized rainbow trout have been stocked, and the state park reports good fishing.
- Location: Southern Utah, Garfield County, W of Escalante
- Directions: 2 mi W of Escalante on SR 12, then N 2/3 mi on paved road
- Type: Fishing
- Size: 145 acres at full pool
- Elevation: 5,931 ft
- Hours: no restrictions
- Likely catch: Bluegill, Largemouth Bass, Rainbow Trout
- Possible catch:
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: Escalante Petrified Forest State Park provides camping, picnicking, boat ramp, restroom, and hiking trail amenities. Gasoline, stores, and lodging available in Escalante.
- Handicap access:
- Site description: Because of its relatively low elevation, Wide Hollow Reservoir is accessible year-round. It is especially popular in early spring when other higher elevation locations are still frozen. The reservoir was constructed in 1955 and has a maximum depth of 29 feet. The reservoir is owned and managed by the local irrigation company. There is no provision for a fishery conservation pool, yet the reservoir is seldom completely drained. During dry years it can, however, be drained to about 6 acres and 20 acre-feet. On average years, 30-50 acres of water remains by the end of the irrigation season.
Over time, the reservoir has silted in, losing much of its original capacity. Prior to the 1970s, it was managed exclusively for trout. Because the reservoir became shallower and warmer, management was changed during the 1970s to include bass and bluegill. Trout have a difficult time surviving low, warm water conditions during the summer and fall, but catchable-size trout are re-stocked each spring to satisfy demands for fishing opportunities at this time of year.
Bank bait fishing is popular for trout. A bobber and worm combination is effective for bluegill and a good method for kids. This method also works well in shallow water. Float tubes and small boats can be used to access all areas of the reservoir and can be effective tools for the more serious bass angler.
Other nearby fisheries include North Creek, the North Creek Lakes, Calf Creek, Posey Lake, and other Boulder Mountain lakes.