Sevier River in Marysvale Canyon
This is a road-side stream in a confined canyon. The canyon provides a narrow rocky channel and a relatively high stream gradient that results in good trout habitat.
Stream flows are greatly influenced by water releases from Piute Reservoir. High flows during the irrigation season often makes fishing difficult. Also, high flows are usually associated with turbid water conditions. Fishing can be very good when water levels are low. Base flows are sufficient to maintain a good fishery, in contrast to the river directly downstream from Piute Reservoir, where flows can be so limited that the fishery is restricted to fish that seasonally move downstream out of the reservoir.
Brown trout fingerlings are stocked annually in Marysvale Canyon and regularly produce trout up to 17 and 18 inches long. Some lunker-size trout have been reported from this section of river. Rainbow trout move downstream from Piute Reservoir and some wild rainbow trout are recruited to the river from tributary streams, such as Deer Creek, Pine Creek, Clear Creek and Beaver Creek. A rare smallmouth bass can be taken in this section of river that has come out of the reservoir.
Some private land is closed to trespass. Respect private property and obey signs. Other areas are open to the public fishing because they are located on BLM-administered lands and because of the old railroad right-of-way and the highway right-of-way.
Fishing can be productive with flies, lures, and baits. Other nearby fisheries include Piute Reservoir, Clear Creek, and other small streams flowing off the east and south side of the Tushar (Beaver) Mountain.
Latest fishing report
The Piute Reservoir dam has been closed, so flows have dropped to winter levels. Surface ice often makes fishing difficult (Last update 01-19-17)
- Location: South of Richfied in south-central Utah
- Directions: 25 miles south of Richfield along U.S. 89
- Type: Rivers
- Size: About 10 miles long
- Elevation: 5,500 to 5,800 feet
- Hours: No restrictions
- Likely catch: Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout
- Possible catch: Cutthroat Trout, Smallmouth Bass
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: Walk-in access, bike trail along old railroad right-of-way; stores, gasoline, and lodging at Hoovers, Marysvale, and Richfield.
- Handicap access: