Beaver River, Lower
Much of this stream is on private property, so please treat the area with respect. The upper most area of stream nearest Minersville Reservoir dam is closed to trespass and is well marked with signs. Other signs denote where walk-in access is allowed on private land. Some public BLM land is open to fishing on the lower end of this stream reach.
The Lower Beaver River is a productive tail-water fishery. Trout do extremely well while irrigation flows are being released from the reservoir, although non-irrigation season conditions and stream flows are marginal. In the past, it was common to lose most of the trout during the winter. Consequently, catchable-size rainbow trout and brown trout fingerlings were stocked annually. Recent riparian vegetation enhancements have improved conditions and provided more wintertime cover and habitat. Trout survival and reproduction have greatly improved in recent years. Trout numbers are high enough that the Division is stocking fewer catchable-size rainbow trout without any negative impact on sport fishing.This stream has a history of producing an occasional lunker-size trout. You can find a fair number of rainbow and brown trout up to 20 inches.
The stream is suitable for fishing with flies, lures, and bait. Regulations allow keeping a legal limit of 4 trout, which offers a good alternative to nearby Minersville Reservoir, where all trout under 22 inches must be released and other special restrictions apply (see proclamation for details). Also, the river offers an alternative to the reservoir if it becomes too windy for boats and float tubes, or if an angler just wants to try something different.
Latest fishing report
Catchable-sized rainbow trout have been stocked. (Last update 10-11-18)
- Location: West of Beaver, downstream of Minersville Reservoi
- Directions: Drive 12 miles west of Beaver City on SR-21
- Type: Rivers
- Size: 5 mid-size stream miles
- Elevation: 5,240 to 5,400 feet
- Hours: No restrictions
- Likely catch: Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout
- Possible catch: Cutthroat Trout
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: County campground at Minersville Reservoir, convenience stores and gas stations at Minersville Town, other facilities in Beaver
- Handicap access: