Steinaker Reservoir is a beautiful State Park located at the foot of the Uinta Mountains. The park has camp sites, restrooms,water, boat ramp and a fish cleaning station. Steinaker has very good rainbow trout, largemouth bass and bluegill fishing. Trophy size brown trout are also caught at Steinaker every year. Steinaker is also a popular swimming, boating and ice fishing water.
Steinaker Dam is in need of repair. The Bureau of Reclamation is the owner and manager of that dam and has slated the work for fall 2017/spring 2018. The reservoir will be drained down over the course of the 2017 irrigation season and will not be refilled until after the construction is done. They are telling everyone to expect water delivery interruptions in 2018 and to anticipate refilling the reservoir for the 2019 irrigation season. They anticipate a Draft Environmental Assessment to be released in December 2016, at which time there will be more information on the project. We do not anticipate a fish kill right now because of the amount of water remaining once it is fully drained. We will, however, cut our rainbow trout and brown trout stocking in half in response. We also anticipate year-class failure for largemouth bass and bluegill. A single year-class failure will not harm the overall population.
- Location: Uintah County
- Directions: Located 15 minutes north of Vernal on Higway 191
- Type: Blue Ribbon
- Size: 823 acres
- Elevation: 5,300 feet
- Hours: Park open 6 a.m. to 10 p
- Likely catch: Rainbow Trout, Largemouth Bass, Bluegill
- Possible catch: Brown Trout
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: Boat ramp, campground, restrooms, fish cleaning station
- Handicap access: There are no ADA facilities