Sand Hollow Reservoir
Sand Hollow Reservoir is the newest of Washington County's largemouth bass reservoirs, located near Hurricane and just a stone's throw south from Quail Lake. It requires a State Park entrance fee of $7.00 per vehicle. Public access to the reservoir is available only through the State Park.
Sand Hollow began filling in 2002 and reached full capacity at over 1,000 acres. It was opened to fishing in 2004. Eight- to sixteen-inch bass are extremely abundant, and there are a surprising number of larger bass ranging to over five pounds. In addition to the bass, bluegill are abundant and are easily caught, even by novice anglers.
This is an ideal location to start a newcomer on fishing. Casting a small curly-tail jig with a 1/8-ounce jig head or suspending a jig or small piece of worm will catch both bluegill and small bass. Regulations allow for the harvest of six largemouth bass, with only one fish over 12 inches. This limit allows anglers to harvest abundant small bass, while protecting trophy-sized fish. Bluegill are covered under the general statewide limit of 50 fish, so kids can take home a mess of tasty bluegill if they desire.
The reservoir is heavily used by water skiers and jet skis during the warmer months, so you may consider going early to avoid the traffic and the heat. Even during busy times, however, conflicts between anglers and other recreational users have been minimal. Great 4-wheeling sites are located nearby so bring your ATV for a break when your arms get tired reeling in fish.
Latest fishing report
Bass fishing remains fair to good as the weather cools. (Last updated 10-13-2016)
- Location: Southwest Utah, Washington County
- Directions: Take Hurricane exit off I-15 just north of St. George. East on SR-9 for 5 miles then south at sign.
- Type: Blue Ribbon
- Size: 1,300 acres
- Elevation: 3,060 feet
- Hours: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Likely catch: Bluegill, Largemouth Bass
- Possible catch: Bullhead Catfish
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: State Park. Campground with full hookups, showers. Paved ramp with docks. OHV riding area.
- Handicap access: