Upland game Upland game
California quail

Certificates of Registration (CORs) for aviculture installations

General information

An aviculture COR is required prior to keeping live game birds for more than 60 days. Completed applications may be submitted to any DWR office.

All game birds or their eggs entering Utah must be accompanied by a valid entry permit number and a valid certificate of veterinary inspection from the Department of Agriculture.

Possessing live game birds for dog training or falconry does not require a certificate of registration (COR) provided that the birds are banded, are not held for more than 60 days and a bill of sale exists. Bands may be purchased from any DWR office for 25 cents each.

Purpose of an aviculture installation certificate of registration

The purpose of an aviculture installation certificate of registration is to allow individuals to purchase, import, possess, propagate, sell, barter, trade, or dispose of live game birds or their eggs.

Certificates are issued for a 5-year period. At the end of that period, an application and fee(s) must be submitted to the DWR for review.

Fee schedule

Initial application: $10 nonrefundable handling fee plus a $100 nonrefundable inspection fee (remittance for both must accompany the application).

If your application is approved, you will be billed for the balance of $75, if the certificate of registration is for personal use only, or $150 if the certificate of registration is for commercial use. Certificates issued for personal use allow up to $5,000 annual sales. Anything over that amount is considered commercial use.

Each amendment to the certificate (adding different species, etc.) during the 5-year period will incur a $10 fee.

After the initial application, you must submit a renewal application every 5 years, along with a $10 nonrefundable handling fee and $30 renewal fee. A $100 inspection fee may be imposed if there are significant changes to the application. Applications arriving after the certificate expiration date will incur a $10 late fee. An application arriving more than 30 days after the expiration date will be treated as new application, and all the fees associated with a new application will apply.

Where should I send my application?

Submit applications to the DWR regional office where the aviculture installation exists.

Releasing birds into the wild

You may not release game birds into the wild without written permission from the DWR director or DWR regional supervisor. A letter requesting permission should include the operator's name, address, telephone number, certificate of registration number, area and date of intended release, species to be released, number and sex of each species to be released, and a veterinarian's statement that the birds are disease free and in good health.

Other information

The Utah Agricultural Code (Title 4, section 29) requires that hatcheries and dealers offering chicks, poults or eggs for sale in Utah be licensed with the Department of Agriculture and Food. This is in addition to the Certificate of Registration (COR) required by the Division of Wildlife Resources. The Utah Administrative Code (R58-6-2) and Section 145.1of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP), define poultry to include game birds. Baby chicks, poults, and hatching eggs imported into the state or sold within and outside the state should originate from flocks participating in the Salmonella pullorum control and eradication program of the NPIP or from flocks that have passed a negative blood agglutination test for that disease. The purpose of this licensure and testing program is for the protection of the poultry industry (including game birds) from Salmonella and other pathogens. Please complete the attached Hatchery License Application and submit with the indicated fee to the office of the State Veterinarian, Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, P. 0. Box 146500, 350 North Redwood Rd., Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6500 or call (801) 538- 7161 for information.

Quick links
Wildlife Blog: Views from DWR employees
» Wildlife Blog
Report poachers — 1-800-662-3337
» Report poachers
Wildlife dates
» Important dates
Hunter, angler mobile app
Hunter Education: Sign up for classes
» Hunter education