Utah Cutthroat Slam

UtahCutthroatSlam.org Register for Utah Cutthroat Slam Register for Utah Cutthroat Slam

2011 antlerless

2011 antlerless hunt highlights

What’s new this year?

Take a closer look at the rules

These antlerless pages summarize some of Utah’s big game hunting laws and rules.

Under many of the headings on these pages, you’ll see code references — such as Utah Code § 23-20-25 and Utah Administrative Rule R657-5-24 — that are linked to the detailed statute or rule that underpins the summary.

If you have questions about a particular subject, take a minute to click the links and read the rules.You are also welcome to call or visit the nearest Division office.

Field regulations in separate guidebook

All big game field regulations — for both antlered and antlerless animals — are in the 2011 Utah Big Game Field Regulations guidebook. Printed copies will be available from license agents and Division offices in early June.

New elk-control areas

This year, you can use an elk-control permit in two new areas: East Canyon and Chalk Creek. Learn more about elk-control permits.

Cow moose permits available only on CWMUs

Because Utah’s moose populations are relatively stable, there are only a few cow moose permits available to the public this year. These permits are available only on CWMUs.

Boundary changes

Hunt boundaries change from year to year. If you're applying to hunt in a particular area, visit the online map and boundary.

Apply online for depredation hunts

When big game animals cause damage to agricultural crops, the Division may hold hunts that are not currently listed. These hunts are called depredation hunts. They may occur on short notice, involve small areas and are often limited to only a few hunters. To apply for the depredation hunter pool, complete and submit an online application.

Don’t lose your hunting and fishing privileges

If you commit a wildlife violation, you could lose the privilege of hunting and fishing in Utah. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources can suspend the license of anyone who knowingly, intentionally or recklessly violates wildlife laws. Your license can be suspended for a wildlife violation if:

  • You are convicted.
  • You plead guilty or no contest.
  • You enter a plea in abeyance.

You will be notified of any action against your privilege after criminal proceedings conclude. And remember, if your license is suspended in Utah, you may not be permitted to hunt or fish in most other states. (Visit ianrc.org to see a map of participating states.)

Other things to keep in mind

Hunting license required

Before you can apply for a 2011 antlerless permit, bonus point or preference point, you must have a valid Utah hunting or combination license. You can purchase a license today or when you apply for an antlerless permit.

Poaching-reported reward permits

Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-23

It pays to report poachers in Utah.

If you provide information that leads to the successful prosecution of another person for the wanton destruction (poaching) of any big game species—on any once-in-a-lifetime or limited-entry hunt area in the state—you may receive a permit to hunt the same species on the same area where the violation occurred.

Apply for permits online or by phone

If you plan to hunt antlerless big game in Utah this year, you must apply for a permit online or by phone no later than June 21, 2011. There’s an 11 p.m. deadline for online applications and a 6 p.m. deadline for phone applications. Apply online, beginning June 1, or call any Division office.

Opportunity for youth

Twenty percent of the permits for antlerless deer and elk and doe pronghorn have been reserved for hunters 18 or under.

Antlerless elk-control permits

Did you obtain a buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime permit? If so, you may be eligible to purchase an antlerless elk-control permit.

Harvest reporting and your chance to win prizes

The Division encourages all hunters to voluntarily report the results of their antlerless hunts, even if they don’t harvest an animal. If you participate, you’ll automatically be entered into a prize drawing! Learn more about this opportunity.

Multiple elk permits

You may obtain two elk permits—provided one or both of the permits are antlerless—but you can only apply for or obtain one antlerless elk permit in the drawing. Learn more about this opportunity.


If errors are found in this online antlerless application information, the Division will correct them immediately.

Hunters with disabilities

Utah Admin. Rule R657-12

Utah provides special hunting accommodations for people with disabilities. These accommodations include the opportunity to hunt with a companion, use a crossbow, hunt from a vehicle, use a draw lock and use a scope on archery equipment or a muzzleloader.

Hunters with disabilities may also apply for an extension to their season if they have a 2011 big game hunting permit in their possession and they meet certain criteria.

Learn more about hunting accommodations for people with disabilities. You can also see the administrative rule or call any Division office.

Protection from discrimination

The Division receives federal financial assistance from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the U.S. Department of the Interior and its bureaus prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex. If you believe that you have been discriminated against in any program, activity or facility, or if you desire further information, please write to:

  • The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
  • Office for Diversity and Civil Rights Programs—External Programs
  • 4040 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 130
  • Arlington, VA 22203

Private lands

The Division cannot guarantee access to any private land. If you plan to hunt—or engage in any other wildlife-related activities—on private lands, you must obtain WRITTEN permission from the landowner or the landowner’s authorized representative.

Division funding

The Division is mostly funded by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and through federal aid made possible by an excise tax on the sale of firearms and other hunting- and fishing-related equipment.

Hunt drawings
Hunting permits
Fishing licenses

Hunter Education

Register now for upcoming classes.

» Read more