Last modified: Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Certificates of Registration (COR) for aviculture installations

General information

In order for you to acquire and possess live game birds or their eggs in the State of Utah, there are some things you need to be aware of (see attached proclamation).

Individuals who wish to acquire and possess live game birds for dog training or the sport of falconry are not required to apply for a certificate of registration, provided that the birds are banded, are not held for more than 60 days and a bill of sale is in possession. Bands can be purchased from the Division of Wildlife Resources Wildlife Registration Office in Salt Lake or regional offices for twenty five cents each.

Individuals who desire to hold live game birds for more than 60 days are required to apply for and receive a certificate of registration for an aviculture installation prior to receiving the birds. Completed applications may be submitted to any Division office. (Download your application.)

All game birds or their eggs entering the state must be accompanied by a valid entry permit number and a valid certificate of veterinary inspection from the Department of Agriculture.

Purpose of an aviculture installation certificate of registration

The purpose of an aviculture installation certificate of registration is to allow individuals to purchase, import, possess, propagate, sell, barter, trade, or dispose of live game birds or their eggs. Typically, individuals with this type of certificate raise game birds for pleasure, to show or to sell.

Releasing birds into the wild

Occasionally, individuals want to release game birds into the wild to hunt or to supplement a wild population. You cannot release game birds into the wild at your own discretion. Before birds may legally be released, the aviculture installation operator must have written permission from the Division Director or appropriate regional supervisor. A letter requesting permission to release game birds should include the following: operator's name, address, telephone number, certificate of registration number, area and date of intended release, species to be released, number and sex of each species to be released, and a veterinarian's statement that the birds are disease free and in good health. (Submitting a request does not guarantee that permission to release game birds will be granted by the Division.)

Certificates are issued for a 5-year period. At the end of the 5-year period, an application and fee(s) must be submitted to the Division for review.

Fee schedule

Initial application: $10 nonrefundable handling fee plus a $100 nonrefundable inspection fee (both of the above fees must be submitted with the application)

If your application is approved, you will be billed for the balance of $75, if the certificate of registration is for personal use only, or $150 if the certificate of registration is for commercial use. Certificates issued for personal use allow up to $5,000 annual sales. Anything over that amount is considered commercial use.

Each amendment to the certificate during the 5-year period will be $10 (adding different species, etc.).

After the initial application, you must submit an application every 5 years (on or before the ending date of the certificate) along with a $10 nonrefundable handling fee and $30 application renewal fee. It is presently not clear if the $100 inspection fee will be imposed every 5 years after the initial inspection, but if there are significant changes in the application, it may be required. If the application is not received on or before the designated ending date of the 5-year certificate, a $10 late fee will be assessed; if the application is not received within 30 days of designated date, the application will be treated as an initial application and the above fees will apply.

Where should I turn in my application?

You application should be turned in based on the location of the aviculture installation. Use the list below to match the county to the correct Division office. Find the address and phone number for your Division office.

  • Central Region: Juab, Salt Lake, Sanpete, Tooele, Utah and Wasatch counties
  • Northern Region: Box Elder, Cache, Davis, Morgan, Rich, Summit, Weber
  • Southern Region: Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane, Millard, Piute, Sevier, Washington
  • Northeastern Region: Daggett, Duchesne, Uintah
  • Southeastern Region: Carbon, Emery, Grand, San Juan, Wayne

Other information


The Utah Agricultural Code (Title 4, section 29) requires that hatcheries and dealers offering chicks, poults or eggs for sale in Utah be licensed with the Department of Agriculture and Food. This is in addition to the Certificate of Registration (COR) required by the Division of Wildlife Resources. The Utah Administrative Code (R58-6-2) and Section 145.1of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP), define poultry to include game birds. Baby chicks, poults, and hatching eggs imported into the state or sold within and outside the state should originate from flocks participating in the Salmonella pullorum control and eradication program of the NPIP or from flocks that have passed a negative blood agglutination test for that disease. The purpose of this licensure and testing program is for the protection of the poultry industry (including game birds) from Salmonella and other pathogens. Please complete the attached Hatchery License Application and submit with the indicated fee to the office of the State Veterinarian, Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, P. 0. Box 146500, 350 North Redwood Rd., Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6500 or call (801) 538- 7161 for information.

Bookmark and Share