Big Sandwash Reservoir
- Rating: Fair
- Conditions: The reservoir hasn't iced over yet, and water levels are now rising. At last report, fishing was fair to good for rainbows and slow for bass and yellow perch. The best fishing times vary, which is common for fall fishing. Most anglers report good fishing for a few mid-morning hours before the action slows around mid-day. Then, it picks up again in the late afternoon. Trout are moving up in the water column, so you may see some action on the surface. Bass and perch are going deeper. Trout baits, such as a worm-and-marshmallow combination or floating PowerBait, work well on the bottom. Also, try going deep — or even just a few feet below the surface — with a sinking fly, crankbait, jig or brightly colored spoon.
- Location: Bluebell in Duchesne County
- Directions: Take SR-87 west from Highway 40 near Roosevelt. Drive approximately 10 miles to the town of Bluebell.
- Type: Fishing
- Hours: 24/7
- Likely catch: Rainbow Trout
- Possible catch: Brown Trout
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: A boat ramp, camping and restrooms are planned.
- Handicap access:
- Site description: Big Sandwash Reservoir is a mid elevation rainbow trout water located near Altamont and Bluebell Utah. The reservoir has recently been enlarged and because of construction, the old camping and angler access areas have been eliminated. A camping area is being developed below the new boat ramp. Angler access and restrooms are also being developed on the North Shore of the reservoir near the old highway. There are no camping or restroom facilities at the present time. There is a new boat ramp however, and the public can launch there. Expect excellent rainbow trout fishing for the next several years.