Big Sandwash Reservoir
- Rating: Fair
- Conditions: The surface is mostly covered with ice, but you should check ice carefully before venturing out. The reservoir is filling so the edges can be tricky to cross without a board. Avoid the inlet on the west side because water currents will weaken the ice from underneath. The east side of the lake has six to eight inches of ice. Anglers have been catching rainbow trout and small yellow perch. You can find the best fishing near the Sportsmen's access on the northwest corner. Perch have been in deeper water, usually around 25 to 35 feet. You can find rainbows just about anywhere. Try using small white-and-yellow jigs tipped with worms, mealworms or waxworms.
- Location: Bluebell in Duchesne County
- Directions: Take SR-87 west from Highway 40 near Roosevelt. Drive approximately 10 miles to the town of Bluebell.
- Type: Fishing
- Hours: 24/7
- Likely catch: Rainbow Trout
- Possible catch: Brown Trout
- Regulations: To see what statewide or special regulations apply to this waterbody, please read the current Fishing Guidebook.
- Site amenities: A boat ramp, camping and restrooms are planned.
- Handicap access:
- Site description: Big Sandwash Reservoir is a mid elevation rainbow trout water located near Altamont and Bluebell Utah. The reservoir has recently been enlarged and because of construction, the old camping and angler access areas have been eliminated. A camping area is being developed below the new boat ramp. Angler access and restrooms are also being developed on the North Shore of the reservoir near the old highway. There are no camping or restroom facilities at the present time. There is a new boat ramp however, and the public can launch there. Expect excellent rainbow trout fishing for the next several years.