Brine shrimp harvester update
September 18, 2008
Dear Brine Shrimp Harvester:
Welcome to the 2008-2009 brine shrimp harvest season. Before containment booms are deployed and the scooping begins please remember the following:
- The annual pre-season harvester meeting will be held on September 25, 2008 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Great Salt Lake Marina. The meeting will be more comprehensive than previous years and personnel from all participating companies are encouraged to attend. Make sure to RSVP to John Luft with the number of people attending, GPS coordinates of "Safe Harbor" points and emergency contact information. For more information, click here to download a PDF of the meeting flyer.
- The harvest will begin at noon on Wednesday, October 1, 2008.
- The lake level is once again very low, exercise extra caution to avoid mishaps on the water.
- All harvester updates from the Division of Wildlife Resources will be sent via fax to the business number provided to us. They can also be found on our website at wildlife.utah.gov/gsl/harvest/information.php.
- Please remember to remain 1 mile from Hat Island and Gunnison Island. The coordinates of these islands are as follows:
||Geographic Coord. in WGS 84, D-M-S
||NAD 83, UTM, Zone 12, meters
||112-51-30.5 W, 41-20-18.4 N
||344519 E 4578037 N
||112-35-9.4 W, 41-4-14.2 N
||366759 E 4547802 N
Field sampling results from the south arm of the Great Salt Lake for September 9, 2008 are as follows (all presented values are per liter of lake water):
- Cysts: 96.4
- Nauplii: 4.76
- Juveniles: 0.19
- Males: 0.42
- Total females: 0.32
- Females : 0.08
- Females w/eggs: 0.06
- Females w/cysts: 0.19
Thank you for supporting our work at The Great Salt Lake Ecosystem Program.
Great Salt Lake Ecosystem Program Manager