Contractors will remove coyotes to protect specific mule deer populations.
Did you participate in Utah's Predator Control Program or have a contract with the DWR to remove coyotes over the past year? If so, you might be eligible to apply for a contract to remove coyotes from specific areas. (These areas are tied to Utah's deer management units and subunits.)
Read through the following questions and answers to learn more about the targeted program. If you qualify and want to become a contractor, please complete and submit the application at the bottom of the page.
If you submitted more than 25 coyotes during the last year (July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014), you may apply for a contract. Contracts run from Jan. 1 and Sept. 30, 2015. You can apply between Nov. 1–Dec. 1, 2014.
A contract pays $10,000 for 200 hours of work between Jan. 1 and Sept. 30, 2015. If you are chosen to be a contractor, you will be paid 60 percent upon signing and will receive the remaining 40 percent after completing the contract and submitting your final report. Please keep in mind that contracts of shorter duration or scope may be assigned.
If you are selected, you will have flexibility in when you work and what hunting methods you use, but you must work at least 200 hours and document your work time. Work time includes all active trapping, calling, shooting, scouting and travel within your assigned area. Work time does not include travel to and from your assigned area. (You will be able to indicate your area preferences on the application below.) You must also supply your own vehicle and equipment.
If you are selected, you must submit complete records and samples for the contract period. These will include:
Please keep in mind that if you kill coyotes as part of the targeted program, you may not submit them for payment through the general Predator Control Program.
Register now for upcoming classes.
» Read more